Contact

Saturday 17 March 2018

Thursday, 15 March 2018 (12.711)

The last reading stopped at:

          “of his jaws.”

                    (Cyclops U12.711)

Catherine Meyer sends a painting to illustrate the passage the group has just read. She writes:


Those “jaws” gave me the opportunity to paint another growling towser. The scene is an intimate conversation between the Citizen and his old towser Garry Owen.

I googled “Garry Owen”, because I wanted to know whether the name had a specific reference or an additional meaning. I was quite excited when I found out that “Garry Owen” also refers to an Irish tune for a quickstep dance. It was selected as a marching tune for British, Canadian and American military formations. 

So I guess the Citizen, as a nationalist, can be seen as debating in a duet with his dog Garry Owen, who personifies the English.

Catherine Meyer © Zürich 2018


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.