Contact

Monday 12 September 2016

Thursday, 8 September 2016

The last reading stopped with Stephen's words: “I seem to annoy them. Green rag to a bull” (15.4497)

Catherine Meyer has made a drawing to illustrate a passage. She writes:

My drawing for the blog shows a slightly drunken Joyce standing at a bar in Dublin and, as the joke goes, the barman says, “you have taken a drop too many Mr. Joyce. Non serviam”.

Of course Fritz told us this joke when we had read Stephen saying “with me all or not at all. Non serviam”. He added that Lucifer didn’t want to serve and Joyce certainly didn’t. The same goes for me – I don’t like it too much either.

So, in order to make a “non serviam“ drawing I chose to do Joyce standing at the bar. After all, this genius of man hasn’t appeared once on any of my paintings. Now is the time to show him in a casual posture.

Catherine Meyer © Zürich 2016





No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.